Chime vs. Jmol
What is Chime?)
MolSlides exported to Chime can be viewed in:
- Windows: Internet Explorer, Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla.
- Macintosh: Only in Classic environment with Netscape 4.8.
- Requires prior installation of the free
MDL Chime browser plugin.
(Download and install Chime.)
MolSlides exported to Chime CANNOT be viewed in:
- Native Mac OSX, linux or any other unix variant.
- Safari on OSX.
- Unlikely to work in browsers not listed as compatible.
What is Jmol?)
MolSlides exported to Jmol can be viewed in:
- All Chime-compatible browsers, plus Safari, Mozilla on linux, and others.
See recommended browsers.
- All common operating systems (Windows, Mac OSX, linux, unix, etc.)
- Requires java (free), which may need to be installed
on some Windows computers (from java.com).
MolSlides exported to Jmol:
- Do not yet always faithfully display the same views you saved from Chime.
This will gradually be fixed.
- Do not display molecular surfaces.
- Do not work reliably in Netscape 4.8
- Jmol is free, open-source software
bundled with Protein Explorer under the terms of its
license. The applet and license can be found in
downloaded copies of
PE in my_molecules\molslides\bundled
More information about the Jmol applet and application, and their
are available at jmol.org, and
Feedback to Eric Martz.